Wednesday, January 9, 2013

All About Me

Over 20 years ago, when I was a young mother I had a lot of problems with my back. My Doctor gave me a muscle relaxant which I took on and off for years (whenever I needed it). As I got older my back pain became worse. I found it hard to sit for long periods of time, and, it seemed the only relief I could get was being in the water. I bought a pass to a spa nearby and began to swim every morning. After 16 years of swimming I decided the only way I was going to really feel better was to have back surgery, so I did. The surgery helped for awhile, but, after about five years my back started to bug me again.

One day while I was at the pool a friend of mine said “maybe you should try massage”. She knew how much pain I was in, and thought her massage therapist could help me. The massage therapist gave me great advice over the year I saw her, but, the best advice she gave me was to stretch (none of the Doctors had ever told me to stretch). She gave me some stretches to do at home. I couldn't believe what a difference it made.

Next, I went to a bookstore to find some book on stretches. One of the books I found was a yoga book,with the same stretches I had already been doing, I thought, ‘I'M DOING YOGA’? I didn't even know what yoga was. I started to study yoga. I became a certified yoga instructor. During my many years of yoga practice I have grown in ways that I never would have imagined possible. I am not the same person I was--literally. I believe the atoms and molecules in my body are different than they were before I began a life of daily yoga practice.

With the study of yoga, came the study of Aurveda, India’s ancient way of healing. In India they believe yoga cleanses the body, keeping it from everyday toxins. They also believe if your body gets overloaded with toxins and becomes ill, you should have some kind of bodywork like Thai Therapy, I believe this as well. I used to think that yoga could fix anything, now I think, Thai Therapy can fix it, and yoga can maintain it.


Nancy Adams Certified Thai Yoga Therapist
and Ayurveda Consultant

These are my own thoughts. I sometimes take writings from others to support my own ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment