Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Thoughts fall away

Many of my Thai Yoga Therapy clients, and some, of my yoga students come to me with physical pain caused by emotional trauma. I know that the way to healing is through meditation; my job is to help them know that as well. Thai Yoga Therapy is a type of meditation, that’s why it is so effective. Most of my clients have minds that chatter, they get frustrated when they meditate because they can’t stop the chatter. They then loose patients for it and won’t try. The most important part of Thai Therapy treatment is the daily meditation. Even if you are not in Thai therapy treatment, you will find peace and wellness in meditation. Meditation takes you deeper and deeper inside yourself, until you reach that area untouched by illness. When you discover the silence in your mind; you no longer have to pay attention to all the random images that trigger worry, anger and pain.

 

I recommend that my clients meditate every day, they always do really well when I am there to guide them, but I can’t be there every day. I remembered, when I have a substitute for yoga, my yoga students would tell me that every time they were led into a pose by the substitute teacher, they could hear my voice in their head guiding them in that pose. How wonderful, I thought, if this same thing could happen for them during their meditation. I took this concern to my own meditation mat, and because silence is the birthplace of happiness, and where we get our bursts of inspiration. A new meditation was born. I call it “Thoughts Fall Away”

 

In my meditation I heard my Self (remember our true Self is our Soul) telling me to let my brain float. With each exhale I felt my brain float higher and become lighter. I felt myself go deeper and deeper into silence. This is the silence we want to bring into our awareness through meditation. After doing this for a few breaths, I felt my thought fall away. I felt my brain grab for the thoughts, and immediately heard my Self say “let them go for now, you can pick them up when you drift back, for now let’s rest”. This brought me back to my awareness. Now I knew, what my clients need, is to know how to let their brain rest. Now I know how I need to guide them.  Back at my meditation I let my brain float, every time I felt my brain grab for my thoughts I said to myself “let the thoughts fall away”. I gave my brain permission to let them go for now, and that it could pick them up when I drift back. On each exhale I said to my self “let the brain float”. As it became easier, when I felt my brain grab for my thoughts, I just said “rest”. I felt myself being led effortlessly and naturally to ever more subtle levels of my thinking. As I reminded myself to “rest” on each exhale, I began to seek still subtler levels of thought until eventually all thought was left behind. This is the place where the mind is actually learning to heal itself.  This is the place where meditation is taking you deeper and deeper inside yourself, until you reach the area untouched by illness.

 

I saw my self guiding my clients, and my students, knowing that if they heard me guide them in meditation often enough, they would hear my voice in there head every time they sat to meditate. I now start my Thai Therapy sessions, and end some of my yoga classes with a guided meditation.


You can try this meditation by following the outline above.

 

 

Nancy Adams Certified Thai Yoga Therapist
                                                                 And Ayurveda Consultant

No comments:

Post a Comment