Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Kapha—the principle of stability

We are all born with an inherent constitutional balance of the three doshas. When they are in balance, they create a state of physical and psychological harmony. When they are out of balance, they create a sense of dis-ease. I want you to know what each dosha governs so when you feel out of balance you will know what dosha is the cause.

Kapha is the combination of earth and water. It is mostly water. The word Kapha means, “that which holds together.” Kapha governs tissue growth, strength, stability, and natural tissue resistance. It lubricates the joints with synovial fluid, promotes coolness in the intestines and stomach, cools the skin with perspiration, gives vitality to the heart and lungs, and helps heal wounds. It governs growth, maintenance, longevity on the cellular level, and stabilizes the auto-immune system to promote stamina. On the mental level, it promotes qualities such as patience, endurance, calmness, serenity, and devotion. Kapha govern the region from the head to the diaphragm. Its home region is the chest cavity and its seat of balance is the heart.

You can see how when the Kapha is out of balance you will notice stupor, depression, slow movements, oversleeping, and sinus congestion. With an imbalanced Pitta you will notice resentment, outbursts of temper, heartburn, acid stomach, and criticism of others. And with the imbalance of the Vata you will notice worry, anxiety overactive mind, depression, insomnia, low appetite, dry rough skin, low stamina, and loss of energy.

It is hard to work on someone who is very out of balance. Their body is in a lot of pain, their nervous system is terrified I will hurt them, and their spirit is broke. When people this ill come to me, they are in charge. I have to work soft and slow asking questions as I go so their nervous system will trust me. The nervous system is the most important thing at this point; it is what caused the illness in the first place, by creating the pain, anxiety and so forth to keep the body safe. And it is what can help to bring the body back to wellness. Which is totally what I expect, to bring the body back to the place where it was before the illness.

When Martha started coming to me she was scared, she had never heard of Thai Yoga Therapy, and she didn’t know me. She was worried, and depressed. She had been sick for more than 10 years and had lost all hope in ever getting well. Martha’s whole body hurt. For the first hour of the two-hour session she was terrified I was going to hurt her (I, was terrified I was going to hurt her). About half way, she relaxed completely and said “you are so worth it” from that time on her nervous system trusted me and believed I would heal her. When a client is at this stage of illness it is important that I see them every week for six weeks. This jump-starts the doshas into balance, and then we can keep them balanced by doing a maintenance therapy once a month. During that six-week time, I got Martha ready for yoga class, taught her how to meditate, coached her in how to listen to her body, and instructed her in a Vata balancing diet. I am happy to say, Martha is well, and we are maintaining her wellness with yoga twice a week, meditation, and diet. Martha is one of many experiences I have had on the mat. What an honor it has been to work with her.

                                        Nancy Adams, Certified Thai Yoga Therapist

No comments:

Post a Comment