Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The love of a personal trainer

I just got finished watching the biggest loser finale, what an incredible show! I love it,  it keeps America motivated. and they had kids on this year, how cool is that. What I love mostly about the show is the way the contestants love their trainers, but, this year it was very evident how much the trainers really love the contestants. Maybe I notice more because I am a trainer. I love my yoga students, sometimes I get personal training with them and sometimes they are in class. But, there is something to be said about helping someone change their life, as the biggest loser trainers get to do every season.

I don’t help people lose weight, or at least I haven’t yet, I help people restore their health. It is very much the same, the people on the biggest loser are sick not only physically, but mentally, and spiritually as well. You can see it in their eyes at the beginning of the season, then, you can see them come alive as the season progresses. This year we head the trainers say more that once “open your eyes!” You have to open your eyes to connect. I get to see this same transformation in my Thai therapy clients as the therapy balances their doshas.

We can compare the doshas to the three main forces at work in the atmosphere, Vata as air, Pitta as fire, and Kapha as water. These same elements create all the weather patterns on Earth. The doshas are responsible for all weather and climate as they fluctuate throughout the season. Similarly, the three doshas rule over our internal climate by their ever changing interactions of movement (Vata), heat (Pitta), and Moisture (Kapha) through the rhythms of time and the aging process. Disease is caused by their imbalances, excess and inappropriate movements.

I also see transformation in my yoga students as they discover the connections between each part of the body and mind. As they overcome the fear of being in a balance, or going upside down. And most importantly they realize that the same strengths and weaknesses they experience on the mat are the same strengths and weaknesses they exhibit in their daily lives.

The contestants on the biggest loser come to the realization they are exceptional beings through the process, and that is why the trainers love their job. I try to instill that same awareness in my clients and students. Because bringing that awareness to another being is the ultimate gift. Please know you are exceptional beings!



Nancy Adams Certified Thai Yoga Therapist
and Ayurveda Consultant
            These are my own thoughts. I sometimes take writings from others to support my own ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment